It’s a big unknown whether we need to move forward in planning our work or cancel the events which are already planned. It’s just not billing the client or making progress or keeping up the staff busy. There are many things which are involved where we can help each other if you are working in an organization or vice versa. Employees and employer are very sensitive for the ongoing pandemic and being impacted by unknown ghost during these unprecedented times. Thinking and making critical changes or quantifying the risk factors involved for each task or event by itself can help us out.
- Our first priority is our stake holder or the client who we are doing the work for. Ask and revisit your specification for more details on such pandemic type and take necessary action in sending a written documentation. Stakeholder will love to know all the information which is going on the project and definitely we can sit down and make corrective action in favor to both of us with the ongoing trending news.
- Scanning your WBS (work breakdown structure) and critical path activities can lead us a long way or this is the right way of approaching to the stake holder for more clarification on planned events. Even we can plan on distributing the future work where people can start working from home and make an efficient progress in billing the client for a positive outcome.
- Visit the business model or schedule to work on low priority items which can be avoided the massive crowds or a group of people. Scatter the people as much as needed for the best productive results and keep them safe would be the highest priority in the coming days. Work should be planned with social distancing by Project controls team or project management team need to come up with various scheduling options or revisit the WBS (work breakdown structure) to see if they can modify or massage the schedule for the overall project without changing the end date.
- If you make the changes with your WBS obviously check with your suppliers or vendors or partners or sub-contractors whether they can supply the material or do work in this crisis. Taking notes and coming up with a log from procurement department would be the best way to tackle this kind of situation and can be easily explained to the owners/Stakeholders.
- Communication is the key point in doing all these or put everything to work. Many employees would like to prefer work from home and communication would rather be very difficult in these type of situations. Try to connect with video calling or phone conference meeting to come up with a plan and make everyone satisfied in your performance.
- Sharing is always caring in each project and many employees are looking to work in these COVID-19 times for the performance and job security. So try to engage as many people as possible. Employees will love to take that next step in making the changes and accomplishing the tasks for managers. Always come up and give chance for various ideas in the room or in a meeting. Mainly people who are way involved in the projects need to have priority and one idea can change the scenario in planning, execution, quality and close out.
- Documentation is the key and after one year from now people can only remember the pandemic but not the insights of each particular job. Try to keep each and every single record of the job for any change management or risk management teams to get involved in the coming months. Employees or employer doesn’t know when this pandemic is going to last and need to be having a good control on the job would be better documentation structure.
- Our best suggestion to all project managers and project teams to track the work before the pandemic started and update the date to the closet date the pandemic started effectively in each region. This will help the stakeholder to analyses the previous performance and compare to take relevant decision.
We would strongly believe these are challenging times for each personnel on the job and taking care of each other by having a cool mindset, flexible communication and help where ever or look after for each other would be the best way to earn your paycheck and keep the employer happy.Featured Photo by Matthew Henry from Burst